Wednesday, January 13, 2010

my favorite seuss-ism

My whole life I have absolutely loved Dr. Seuss. As I have gotten older, I have begun to appreciate so many of his simple rhymes for all of the amazing principals they have behind them. I think a lot of people think of "Oh the places you'll go" when they think of Dr. Seuss being inspirational but I've found so much inspiration in his other stories. I don't know what Dr. Seuss' beliefs were but when I read his work as an adult I can't help but feel we may have believed many of the same things and that his books were for adults as well as for children.

I think the one that has touched me the most is The cat in the hat. There are so many things about this book that I love but there is one part that just parallels my life. The house is trashed and the cat is gone and mom is on her way home. The cute little fish who is always trying to stay out of trouble looks around and says, "This mess is so big, and so deep, and so tall, we can not pick it up, there is no way at all". I one day read this and started to tear up. How many times in our lives have we felt this way? So many times I have felt that my mess is so big and so deep and so tall that I just can't pick it up. Of course since I was already starting to tear up as I continued reading I completely lost it. Without being asked the cat comes back and said "Have no fear of this mess" and it goes through the list of how he quickly picks up everything with such ease and says "that is that, and then he was gone with the tip of his hat". I read this and couldn't help but think of Jesus Christ and how every time my mess feels too big for me to handle, I don't even have to ask...Christ is always right there, picking up my mess with such ease, telling me not to fear. Although it was Christ who taught me, it was Dr. Seuss who helped me to remember that no mess is too big, too deep, or too tall...the Lord will always be there to help me pick it up.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this Courtney, and I definitely teared up. :) Your posts are always so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete