Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bubbles and sacrifices

I have been feeling a little under the weather all week so this afternoon Joie and I went out to run some errands.  I had a list of things I needed and a small list of things I would like if I came across a good deal.  We spend a couple hours out and about and Joie was getting a little antsy but she was still being a good girl.  Our last stop before we went home was TJ Max.  I normally don't shop much at TJ but once in a while they will have a cute pair of shoes for a good price or cute home decor...its just very hit or miss.  I had found some new sheets there that I really liked and I decided to get them because 1. they were a really high thread count and felt amazing and 2. they were a really good deal.  I put them in the cart and continued to browse a bit.  We walked by the toy section and I saw a cute little spill proof bubble container and I picked it up to look at it and see how much it was.  As soon as I picked it up Joie went crazy yelling "BUBBLES BUBBLES".  The Bubbles were only 5 dollars (quite a bit less than my sheets might I add) but I'm still on a budget and really didn't want to buy both.  As I stood there watching my daughter clutch to those bubbles like she had just struck gold I knew I couldn't say no.  So, grudgingly, I put back my sheets, paid for the bubbles, and left.  At first I was regretting my decision because Joie cried the entire way home.  She wanted to blow bubbles in the car and I would not allow that.  We arrived at home, I brought everything from the car into the house, and finally sat down and opened Joie's bubbles for her.  As I sat there and watched my daughter on cloud nine because of a little 5 dollar bucket of bubbles I knew that watching her smile like that would bring me more happiness than any sheets...or anything else I could buy for that matter.  Sometimes motherhood is really hard and really trying but its small moments like these that I realize that every sacrifice I make to make my daughter happier or to give her a better life ends up making me happier as well. Sometimes its something small like letting her buy what she wants instead of me buying what I want, but sometimes its something bigger like sacrificing having a career so I can raise her.  Whatever the sacrifice, big or small, if it will bring a smile to that girls face and make her giggle than it was completely worth it.


2 comments:

  1. You're such a good mommy, Court! As a fellow shopping lover I totally know how hard that must have been to put the sheets back and get Joie her bubbles but I can just hear her laughing and you're right, it was totally worth it. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a cute post! doesn't it make you appreciate your own mother so much more once you have kids of your own? :)

    ReplyDelete