Friday, August 6, 2010

Dear Mothers

Dear Mothers,
 
   I understand that these days we have it pretty darn hard.  Not only are our children supposed to always look clean and be perfectly well behaved in public areas, but we are supposed to look like very calm super models who can juggle 100 things at once with ease.  This makes me sad...not because society dictates it, but because we all buy into this crap.  I know, I know, you're sitting there reading this thinking, oh I'm so not like that...but have you ever cried because you just had a baby and you feel fat and unattractive?  Have you ever told your husband "Oh my gosh I'm so embarrassed, I just ran into (insert name) at Costco on the ONE day I'm not wearing any make up and Joie was acting like a circus animal"?  Maybe I'm the only one guilty of this.  It makes me so sad to see other people upset over things like this or so discouraged about their weight when I see them as being these AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, LOVING mothers.  I do see the hypocrisy in saying this because I know I'm guilty of it myself but when I see pictures of all of you right after you have given birth all I can see is pure beauty.  When I see pictures of you trying to soothe a child who is throwing a tantrum, I see beauty and love.  Please please PLEASE, forget about the stupid world and remember that what you are doing is the most beautiful amazing thing in the entire world.


Exhibit A.  BEAUTY.  This is my beautiful sister in law the day she gave birth.


Exhibit B.  Not Beauty.  Now I'm not saying she isn't pretty but this DEFINITELY doesn't make my heart melt.


I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the point.  Beauty does not come from being 5'10 or fitting into size 2 jeans.  Be healthy and be happy but know that your beauty comes from within and seeing you all be mothers, wives, and children of God is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely needed this post today, Courtney! You are so right. Motherhood is very beautiful and we as mothers should never be too hard on ourselves. You are one of the most selfless, beautiful, wonderful mommies I know and I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, thank you so much for this post. I just love it! I got tearied eyed somewhere in there, maybe because I'm so excited about our little guy who will be here soon, and also because I know that I'll need reminders like this after giving birth and everything, and even now. Motherhood is the most beautiful thing. Joie is so blessed to have you as her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Courtney! It is so easy to get depressed about these dang stretch marks and flabby belly but looking at my sleeping baby reminds me it's all worth it. Being a mommy is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Courtney!! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete